Monday 30 January 2012

The interview and all that

So, as I was saying I had just told my mum, she was more excited than me because as quickly as I had told her, it had sunk in, I have to now go and sit an interview, my first one for this type of thing. I had sat interviews before, but they weren't as serious as this, they where for part time jobs not a career. One bonus was my mum had got me to get a suit months before any of this, I think she was trying to keep me going when it was rough. It was a nice suit, was a good price £130 I think down from £250. Thanks mum haha.Now if you look on the forum there is a whole load of people asking about interviews, what do they ask? how does it go? I read through these and noticed a trend. I had two weeks and had a rough idea of how it was going to go, I started to learn about the company. Thankfully I knew a lot about the Merchant Navy from my partner and the hours of research I had done, so I concentrated on the company and me, on why I wanted this and what I have done that would help me in this career. I watched the company video over and over with the key facts, I would say it to myself when I was in my work. By this stage I was a trainee supervisor in work, working full time and doing college. My manager at the time was very supportive of my situation and wanted me to do well, and helped me a lot it also helped I would drop him home after a late shift which took a good 20 minutes so we had plenty time to chat. I took the week off work, it was a Wednesday so I wanted the time to prepare then relax. I went up on the train so I knew I wouldn't break down, saved their number in my phone so if I did get stuck I could get in touch. I arrived, feeling over dressed during the trip up, but feeling well dressed for the situation. We where all invited in a fairly sized room with a large round table there was around 16-18 of us I think then we all watched a DVD the exact video I had been studying when I was studying the company, we then all sat a maths and english test, 11 minutes 50 questions, you aren't mean't to finish. I didn't think I did that great, can't even remember the question I got to. I just remember thinking that was a quick 11minutes. We where all then given a time to return for our interview, I choose to sit outside with some others, I started to chat to some of the guys, I could tell everyone was pretty nervous naturally, so I made a few jokes to try and relax, we spoke about techniques, all with hand shakes and stuff. I decided to just be myself, some of the guys went in and left again, then my name was shouted. I think my heart skipped a beat it was my turn to go in, at this point I thought here we go.


It was the same room as we had been in but now it was just 2 of us. We started by confirming who I was and my details, then it started, the onslaught of questions. I managed to answer questions with confidence, using past experience as a good template, and of course used jokes and got a few laughs thankfully. There was some questions I was expecting and some caught me off guard for example"You have just joined your first ever ship what happens next as you step on". My brain raced what the, how the, who's mean't to know that kinda thing. Thankfully once I stopped it, I reverted to cadet instructor mode and listed all the things that is taught when joining T.S Royalist the square rig sailing ship the cadets have and she was pleased with my answer. I also remember sitting up right with my hands clasped in front of me on the table during the full thing, that is about the only thing I remember being aware of in respect to technique. I didn't bother with the whole silence after question stuff, if I knew the answer I would start to answer. Once she was happy with the questions she asked, she then took my copies of my results and a copy of my medical since I already had one and that was it. Many questions later and a handshake and goodbye it was done finished. I thought the interview went well, better than I expected really, I had my doubts on my test though, but now it was out of my hands. I then met up with my partner in the city for a hot chocolate, she felt quite under dressed standing next to me in my suit, though again I just felt overdressed. I headed home to try and relax and wait for my letter saying yes or no. Before I go any further I would like to say a massive thank you to my partner, she stood by me during my lowest times and never gave up on me and a thank you to my parents for being there for me aswell. Right well time for another top up and maybe write another before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment